1. Examining the work: Setting the Foundation
· The question that I propose is will the state academic performance (STAAR) of our LEP students heavily increase with an increase in parent/teacher bilingual involvement. As I mentioned to my principal, I feel that our 9th and 10th graders do not understand the gravity of the STAAR test and the main reason being that the parents do not stress to them the importance of it because, due to the language barrier, they themselves do not know. In addition to that, we also have a problem with parents of our LEP students showing up to activities/workshops we host at school for them. Therefore, instead of asking them to come to us, we will go to them. My principal has authorized me to set up informational workshops/mixers at places where we know a great number of our LEP students and parents attend. With the approval of my principal, I have received permission to plan said activities/workshops with my first one tentatively being on February 24, 2013.
2. Analyzing data
· What I plan to do to analyze my data is gather the STAAR results from the previous year from 9th and 10th graders. I will break the data according to subjects, scores, LEP and non-LEP students and make a comparison to. In addition, I will request the academic grades of my LEP students and analyze common trends that I may observe.
3. Developing deeper understanding
· After I have gathered all of my data, I will perform further research and create focus groups or surveys aimed towards the LEP students. The best way to understand the problem is to hear it from the subjects themselves. Perhaps with the focus groups and/or surveys, I will be able to gain a better understanding as to why these students did not perform to the state’s level.
4. Engaging in Self-Reflection
· Since this is an action research topic, I will continue with my research/investigating and create a plan in order to achieve my goal. Monitoring the progress of the students will take place throughout the entire action research project. I will make proper accommodations/revisions if I notice things going in the wrong direction.
5. Exploring Programmatic Patterns
· Throughout the entire action research project, I will be able to observe common trends from the data that I collect the previous year, current year, and make predictions for the future years. Staying consistent and maintaining contact with LEP students and their parents will assist me with making an revisions if needed.
6. Determining direction
· With a group of ESL/Spanish teachers and myself, and with the support of our principal, we will maintain our vision and goal with the subjects of our action research topic and that is out LEP students and their parents. Informing the parents of what they need to know in regards to STAAR testing and providing activities for them and the students.
7. Taking action for school improvement
· My textbooks being my main point of resources as well as my site supervisors and tech supervisor, when needed. In addition, the small group of ESL/Spanish teachers that will be assisting me with the planning and implementation of these activities will also be needed.
8. Sustaining improvement
· Constant monitoring will be performed through the course of this study. Improvements will be noted and if improvement is not seen, then we will re-focus our group and create an alternative way/plan so that we may be able to obtain and achieve our goal.